Friday, April 3, 2020

Critical Reflection

Subject: Critical Reflection

At the start of the trimester, I had two objectives in mind for this module. Firstly, to rectify my weakness of frequent reiteration and secondly to further improve and refine my speaking skills. In order to concurrently achieve both objectives, I have frequently volunteered to answer questions in class as well as volunteering as team leader for all assignments. Having to frequently answer questions placed a certain amount of stress on myself which has helped me to communicate thoughts and ideas in a more clear and concise manner. On top of that I made a conscious effect to not reiterate my thoughts while communicating as team leader for class exercises and graded assignments. I placed more emphasize in effective communication with my group members, ensuring that my message is always clear, concise and impactful. Improving the method of communicating with group members has significantly reduced the necessity and frequency of reiterating my points and also improved and honed my speaking skills. In order to further improve my communication skills, I believe I will need to join some events that require pitching of ideas such as the Mapletree challenge. Frequently pitching ideas to a large crowd will definitely improve my communication skills even further.

I took up the role of group leader in my research project and during this short period of time, I was surprised that I had weak teamwork skills. As the group leader, I felt that I had to put more time and effort into the project than anyone else. Observing the high level of cooperation and enthusiasm from group members during project discussions made me realize that I should depend more on my group members. After this realization I strived to put more trust in my group members and approached them more often when I had problems instead of struggling to solve them by myself. It was apparent that the project felt more enjoyable and relaxing when I shared the work load with the rest of my team. At the start of the project I believed that a leader with good teamwork skills should do more work and more planning while assigning less work to other members. After this project I learned that a leader with good teamwork skills will develop a group that is able to trust, cooperate and cover each other’s weaknesses naturally and seamlessly. Overall, I can say with great certainty that I will be a better leader for subsequent projects due to my experiences from this research project.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Brandon, for this detailed and yet focused critical reflection. You provide clear supporting info as you review your work during the trimester, especially in terms of you developing a more effective sense of how to lead your team. I often wonder how that works within student teams. It's interesting that you cover the issue of developing trust, based on your perceived "high level of cooperation and enthusiasm" from your buddies.

    Things certainly seemed to come together well for your four, both in terms of the device you developed, the presentation the team gave and the report you have been showing me bit by bit. I look forward to reading the report in the coming week.

    All in all, this post reflects well on your keen engagement in the module throughout the term. You were certainly one of the classroom leaders, which is saying quite a bit in a class of 17 high energy males. I have really appreciated you assuming the role of a sort of 'prefect,' getting people back on track when the testosterone levels were rising. The leadership role suits you, so go ahead and take that bull by the horns going forward!

    All the best as you continue your learning journey here at SIT and beyond!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Design Summary & Analysis (Edited)

Subject: Design Summary & Analysis (Edited) In the article “It's 2019 - Where’s My Super Suit”, Zelik (2019) addresses the signifi...